To kick off my countdown to the big day, I baked and decorated shortbread cookies in the spirit of the season. I love a good shortbread cookie, especially this time of year. I regard it as comfort food – must be the butter…
To flood the cookies, follow the steps below:
- Roll out dough to 1/4″ thick and cut into shapes using cookie cutters or templates
- Bake and let cool completely
- Attach a #2 tip to decorator’s bag or squeeze bottle and fill with color icing of your choosing
- Outline the shape of the cookie, let dry, but not completely
- Fill in or ‘flood’ the center
- Add dragees using a tweezer, or decorate with other icing colours
- Let dry and enjoy!!
Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. (This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.) Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.