Champagne Ganache Marshmallow Kisses are decadent, dark chocolate discs with fluffy, praline crunch marshmallow piped over silky champagne ganache!
One more reason why so-called new year diet-related resolutions don’t work – Valentine’s Day. There you are guzzling smoothies three times a day, miserable as hell and a week into the new year all around you are signs of the BIG V. You know… sweets, sweets and more SWEETS packaged in shiny red boxes and displayed to entice the sentimental among us! And there goes your diet. OK, diets in general don’t work in my opinion – I believe in everything in moderation and staying active, but what do I know…
Being a pusher of said sweets, I say to you, don’t be guilted by a little indulgence. I believe it was Jacque Torres who said – ‘Life is short. Eat dessert first! Wiser words have never been spoken my friends and likely never will. Especially when your mouth is filled with these delightful Champagne Ganache Marshmallow Kisses.
We’ve had our ups and downs, marshmallow and me. You won’t catch me buying the store-bought stuff, unless they’re accompanied by sleeping bags and an open fire. Then, of course, there is the texture thing. You’ve heard me lament about it on here from time to time – my mouth is happiest when stuffed with contrasting textures.
Two things to help balance the texture – dark chocolate discs and super crunchy praline grains (chopped, caramelized hazelnuts). The former creates the base and is perfectly tempered to add a nice snap when bitten into and the latter adds little, unexpected crunch throughout the marshmallow kisses. Sandwiched between the two is a dreamy champagne ganache that seals the deal. Literally.
They aren’t always the most perfectly piped kisses, but they sure know how to make tastebuds tingle in all the right places. I tend to pipe most of the marshmallows I make – not sure why – perhaps my therapist could help me work through that. Also, not sure why I haven’t shared them here before… I’ll get around to that, but until then you can find marshmallow kisses in vanilla, raspberry, passion fruit and chocolate on my Instagram feed. Today, however, you will find my kisses to be a little more bubbly.
I adapted the recipe for these Champagne Ganache Marshmallow Kisses from one of the confectionery courses I took at a local culinary school a little while back. All the components are great on their own, but together they make a delectable, impressive dessert; perfect for the one you call Valentine.
Champagne Ganache Marshmallow Kisses
- 175 grams dark chocolate approximately 1 cup
- 150 grams milk chocolate approx. 1 cup
- 50 grams whipping cream approx. 1/4 cup
- 15 grams champagne 1 tablespoon
- 50 grams gelatin powder approx. 1/4 cup
- 100 gram water to bloom gelatin
- 225 grams corn syrup approx. 2/3 cups
- 675 grams granulated sugar 3.5 cups
- 75 grams corn syrup approx. 1/4 cup
- 225 grams water just under 1 cup
- 270 grams hazelnut paste approx. 2 cups
- 30 grams praline grains 1/4 cup, optional
Prepare a flat surface with a sheet of parchment or silicone mat.
Add a little water to a pot and bring to a simmer.
Pre-crystallize the chocolate by placing in a stainless steel bowl, large enough to fit securely over the pot of simmering water. (I used the seed method - melt 80% of chocolate to 45ºC, remove from heat and stir in the remaining 20%, as needed, until working temperature of 30-31ºC is achieved).
Pour onto prepared parchment or silicone mat and use an off-set spatula to spread an even thin layer.
Allow to set partially and cut 1-inch circles using a pastry/cookie cutter.
Allow to set completely at room temperature, then lift circles out and set aside.
Add chocolate to a bowl.
Slowly bring the cream to a simmer and pour over chocolate.
Allow to sit for a few seconds and then stir.
Stir in champagne and continue to mix until uniform and smooth.
Sprinkle gelatin over 100grams water and set aside to bloom.
Add the 225 grams corn syrup to the bowl of a stand mixer and set aside on the mixer.
In a heavy-duty pot, heat sugar, 75 grams corn syrup and 225 grams water to 110º.
At 110º, pour the mixture onto the corn syrup in the mixer bowl. Add bloomed gelatin and whisk until tripled in volume.
Cool to 40º before adding hazelnut paste and praline grains.
Add ganache to a piping bag, cut a small piece off the tip and pipe quarter-size mounds of ganache onto chocolate discs.
Prepare a large piping bag with a plain round pastry tube and pipe marshmallow onto chocolate discs over to of ganache. (Pour remaining marshmallow into a shallow, square dish and cut into desired shaped, once set).
Use remaining chocolate from discs to drizzle over marshmallows, or dip the assembled marshmallow to coat with chocolate, (as we did in class) and drizzle with milk chocolate.