WELCOME!!! I’m J, (Jacqueline, if you want to get formal). I am the chocolate-dipper/butter-whipper/bowl-licker behind I Sugar Coat It! I love experimenting with flavours and textures and sharing the tips, tricks and techniques I’ve picked up along the way. You’ll find everything from decorated cakes, cookies, chocolates, the occasional savoury bites and tutorials. It may get a little messy at times, but it always yields sweet, happy endings!
You will find recipes made from scratch using quality ingredients. I grew up watching my grandmother bake and cook from scratch using the freshest ingredients, so naturally that is my preferred method. The kitchen wasn’t always a place I longed to be – in fact, it was the very last place you would find me. Today, however, I spend way too many evenings covered in flour and chocolate tinkering with flavours and fractions (ok, grams).
It all started when I enrolled in a cake decorating class at a local craft store, where I learned the Wilton fundamentals. After completing a series of four courses, I started this blog as a way to document my journey and share my learnings. As I blogged, my appetite to learn and improve grew insatiable, so I enrolled in culinary school, which has led to a professional chocolatier designation and a pending pastry certificate.
Those things have led me step outside my comfort zone. My hope is to inspire you to do the same, even if it is only for you alone to enjoy.
Here are a few random things about my blog and me that may help to answer all your burning questions 🙂 :
- I was an elephant in a previous life. Don’t try to convince me otherwise.
- I am introverted, shy, super awkward and become tipsy just by the smell of alcohol. Quite the scene when you experience them all at once.
- I am an office dweller by day and just about anything else I want to be, come nightfall (see #8).
- Although I love sugar-coating what goes in my mouth, the same can’t be said for what comes out.
- I LOVE to travel and do so often, but not nearly as often as I’d like.
- Cavity-free for my life to date is some real shit to be proud of, considering the first part of #4 above.
- I’ve never taken a selfie.
- I am a fully trained, certified Chocolatier and a partially trained pastry artist.
- My favourite baking ingredient, vanilla beans, next to chocolate, of course.
- Some people confuse my shyness for timidness. BIG MISTAKE. Ask them.
- Dark chocolate is my BFF, don’t try to compete. Unless you’re an elephant. ☺️
- Speaking of elephants. High on my bucket list – volunteering at David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.
- Admitted Thai food, chai and matcha junkie.
- I attended a performing arts school in my teens and had dreams of being a professional dancer.
- I sing – a bit of an Ella/Nina hybrid I’m told – but that may just all be in my head.
- Why is my blog unique? There is no other me (parallel universe excluded), so no other blog is written in my voice. It may not be great, but it’s mine and I am learning to love it more with each post!
Connect with me: Use the comments section below the corresponding post to ask a question, or to just say hey! It’s always nice to know you’ve been here! If one serving of me just isn’t enough join me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+ . You may also use my contact form to send me an email.
Thanks for dropping by, hope you’ll visit often!