These Baileys Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Truffles are melt-in-your-mouth magical with a thin dark chocolate shell filled with a creamy Baileys Salted Caramel Irish Cream truffle filling.
I’ve been keeping a dark, little secret, ya’ll. But before I spill my beans… OMGEEE!! Did you know that Baileys is available in Salted Caramel? I wasted no time grabbing a bottle (or two) when I saw them at the LCBO. I think it worked splendidly in these Baileys Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Truffles!
Strange thing though…I’ve made a truckload of truffles over the years and just realized that this is the first time I’m sharing them on my blog. WHAT? I was certain I had already shared a few here, but after searching my blog, came up with a truffle-adjacent post. I clearly have a case of social media mess-up. I tend to share stuff on my Instagram account long before I post them here and in doing so, convince myself that they are also on my blog. This coffee hazelnut was one of my faves and these fifteen seconds were simply orgasmic, yet they never made it to the bog!
OK, I think I am ready to spill the beans. Hold on to your chef’s hat my friends, I’m officially a bonafide Chocolatier!! Well, a trained Chocolatier that is – I’ll be sticking with my full-time career for a while longer. I’ve dropped a few hints about my training in past chocolate-related posts, but I could not bring myself to tell you what I was up to. Then I became ill and had to take an extended break and wasn’t sure when, or if, I would be picking it up again. The thing is, laying in bed gets old pretty fast, so instead of a year break, I was back at it in half the time.
The Dude and one of my best friends have been encouraging me to celebrate my successes – big and small – something I have a real tough time doing. So there, now you know and now I am in full Woody Allen mode, freaking out about whether I should have told you (enter silent scream here).
When I enrolled in my first culinary courses a few years back, I was simply looking for a way to stay occupied during the long, cold winter months. Chocolate wasn’t even on my radar, unless I was savouring it, ok, stuffing my face with it. Although I have always been fascinated by it, I didn’t even know studying chocolate, much less being certified in the art and science of chocolate making was in my reach.
Then, while registering for a second round of pastry program courses, I saw a few chocolate courses listed as electives. I soon discovered that it had a program all its own and yada yada yada… I’m now what the culinary college calls a Professional Certified Chocolatier! EEEEEEK!!! I haven’t given up on pastry, however. I’ll be picking that up that torch again soon.
I’ll tell you more about the experience and share some creations and techniques with you in future posts, including my chocolate show-piece from my final. Till then, I’m pretty sure I hear these Baileys Salted Dark Chocolate Truffles whispering your name…
And they are saying bite me! These little shots of Baileys Salted Caramel in truffle form, are melt-in-your-mouth magical. The ganache on its own is sublime, but even more so when paired with the dark, paper thin, sexy snap of the chocolate shell.
I piped the ganache into truffle shells made from tempered chocolate, but you can just as easily make small recipe adjustment and pipe them with a fancy tip or scoop them into balls and dip these babes for a similar result.
Ready to make your own batch? Let’s do it!!
Baileys Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Truffles
- 250 grams milk chocolate 1 cup, I love and use Valrhona
- 62 grams butter 1/4 cup, unsalted
- 20 grams liquid fondant 2 tablespoons, optional
- 35 grams Baileys Salted Caramel Irish Cream 2 1/3 tablespoons
- 300 grams dark chocolate 1 2/3 cups, tempered
- Edible paint or dust to decorate
- sea salt flakes to garnish
To make the ganache:
Melt the milk chocolate over a double boiler, until smooth and free of lumps.
In a separate bowl, combine the fondant and butter.
Pour the melted milk chocolate over the butter mixture and stir with a whisk until smooth.
Stir in the Baileys and allow to set to a consistency fit for piping or scooping into small balls.
To make truffle shells:
Pre-crystallize chocolate by placing in a large stainless steel bowl, fit securely over a pot of simmering water. Water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
I used the seed method - melt 80% of chocolate to 45ºC, remove from heat and add the remaining 20%, as needed, stirring continually until working temperature of 31-32ºC is achieved.
If making shells, cast in appropriate molds, pour out excess and allow shells to form. Pipe truffle filling into shells and cap.
If dipping, shape the truffle filling into balls and use a dipping fork to coat with a thin layer of chocolate. Allow to set.
Decorate as desired.